INTERNSHIP (2017-18 Season): Basketball Operations
Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the AFL’s Baltimore Brigade and Washington Valor, NBA’s Washington Wizards, NHL’s Washington Capitals and WNBA’s Washington Mystics. The company just recently purchased an NBA G League development league team, isco-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and also owns and operates Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. Monumental Sports & Entertainment also manages Kettler Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University’s campus. In 2018, Monumental Sports & Entertainment will bring the Mystics and the G League team to a new state-of-the-art Entertainment and Sports Arena being built by Washington, D.C. and Events DC at the St. Elizabeth’s campus in Ward 8. The Wizards will also practice there. Monumental Sports & Entertainment co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network with the NBC Sports Group. Monumental Sports Network is the mid-Atlantic region’s top direct-to-consumer destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company:
- We provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- We champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve on a daily basis.
- We work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- We measure our performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are data-driven.
- We prize leadership, but we value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- We innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- We have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: Assist Washington Wizards’ front office staff with the day-to-day operations of the organization. This is a paid internship.
- Provide administrative assistance to all staff as needed/requested.
- Provide personal assistance to all staff as needed/requested.
- Coverage of multiple phone lines, provide detailed, accurate messages.
- Daily duties include, but not limited to delivering mail, keeping order/inventory of office supplies, miscellaneous errands for staff as needed/requested.
- Assist in reconciling travel expenses for college/NBA team scouts.
- Assist in escorting visitors to various onsite meetings as needed.
- Provide logistical support to all areas of the department as necessary.
- Acquire knowledge of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
- Update player boards – draft prospects, NBA rosters, potential free agents.
- Research draft prospects for 2016 NBA draft; some pre-draft preparation.
- Update agent list/database as changes occur.
- Various projects requiring proficiency in use of Excel.
- Research for game preparation, compiling statistical information on opposing teams with information packet of basic stats/shot charts.
- Assist with multiple game day/game night responsibilities; includes pre-game setup for Wizards home games, working with SportVu camera during games.
- Develop working knowledge of SportVU technology- camera system installed in basketball arenas to track real-time player positions/ball movement.
- Data can create innovative statistics, and assist/identify with player queries.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student.
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of 20 hours per week.
- An ideal candidate possesses: exceptional work ethic, strong desire to succeed, eagerness to learn, professionalism, and a passion for the sports industry.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office & Outlook.
- Good communication skills.
- Reliable transportation and housing.
Get MVP Insight
Stay Ahead of the Competition
With MVP Access you get "insider" information on when your application was reviewed,
how many candidates applied, blue ribbon insignia as a serious candidate, weekly
career coaching tips, plus links to load your application.
MVP Access applications are viewed 9x more frequently than non-MVP applicants (based
on data from 2011 - 2013).
See Job Insights, when you upgrade to MVP Access...
Upgrade to MVP Access
Note: This position was originally posted on the Monumental Sports employment site. To ensure that your application is
considered for this position, please tap "Apply" below to apply for this job on the Monumental Sports employment site.