Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the AFL’s Baltimore Brigade and Washington Valor, NBA’s Washington Wizards, NHL’s Washington Capitals and WNBA’s Washington Mystics. The company just recently purchased an NBA G League development league team, isco-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and also owns and operates Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. Monumental Sports & Entertainment also manages Kettler Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University’s campus. In 2018, Monumental Sports & Entertainment will bring the Mystics and the G League team to a new state-of-the-art Entertainment and Sports Arena being built by Washington, D.C. and Events DC at the St. Elizabeth’s campus in Ward 8. The Wizards will also practice there. Monumental Sports & Entertainment co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network with the NBC Sports Group. Monumental Sports Network is the mid-Atlantic region’s top direct-to-consumer destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company:
- We provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- We champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve on a daily basis.
- We work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- We measure our performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are data-driven.
- We prize leadership, but we value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- We innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- We have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Wizards Event Planning Intern will have the opportunity to see firsthand how to execute successful Sales and Membership Services events, programs, and game day initiatives. The Event Planning Intern plays an integral part in the creation, development, execution and breakdown of our season ticket member and sales events and programs. Intern will also assist with various daily tasks and responsibilities contributing to the overall success of the Sales and Membership Services departments. This is a paid internship.
- Works with the Events & Programs Manager and the Sales & Service Coordinator to understand and develop event strategy, goals, and desired outcomes.
- Develop logistical plans prior to each event, including securing vendors, planning menus, preparing invitations, maintaining registrations, and helping with various other event tasks.
- Assist in communication to outside vendors, including venues, transportation, audio/visual, entertainment, caterers and décor companies.
- Assist with the management of specific special event budgets.
- Manage the department’s event supplies, photo library and other department physical and electronic resources.
- Assist with the ordering and inventory management of all promotional products, team memorabilia, and gifts.
- Learn process for post-event data recap and analysis using Archtics and Salesforce software.
- Support the planning, set-up, and execution of all Wizards game day events and initiatives.
- Attend necessary department meetings and training sessions.
- May conduct research projects to gain market insight.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student.
- Exceptional organization, attention to detail, and time management skills.
- Procient in Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
- Ability to efficiently work on multiple projects at once.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, professionalism, and customer service presence.
- Interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Team player attitude and willing to assist wherever necessary.
- Thrive in a fast paced environment and adapt to various situations that may arise on the spot.
- Ability to be creative and think outside the box.
- Professional and confident self-starter and self-motivator.
- Comfortable working with all levels of an organization, including senior executives.
- Demonstrates professional behavior and appropriate attire at all times.
- The ability to work extended hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as lifting and moving boxes etc.
- Ability to stand on feet and walk comfortably for long periods of time.
- Basketball knowledge and customer service experience a plus, but not required.
- Reliable transportation and housing.