JOB DETAILS DATE MODIFIED: 7/5/2017
Title: Payroll Specialist
Reports To: Payroll Manager/Sr. Accountant
The Payroll Specialist is responsible for processing payroll for hourly and salaried employees. The Payroll Specialist will also perform accounting tasks related to payroll processing.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform these essential functions:
- Process semi-monthly payroll for hourly and salaried employees to ensure timely payroll submissions.
- Manage Multi-State Tax tracking system
- Reviews payroll documentation for accuracy
- Enter all payroll related updates for employees in Sage HRMS, including wage and tax adjustments, garnishments, etc.
- Assist the Payroll Manager on payroll G/L coding and questions.
- Facilitate inquires and requests by staff regarding payroll in a timely manner.
- Interfaces with the Human Resources Department to ensure the integrity of the payroll data including data related to new hires, terminations, transfers and rate changes.
- Researches and resolves questions from managers and employees as they relate to the processing of payroll information such as Paid Time Off, Health Savings Accounts, garnishments, employment verifications, and other changes.
- Provide system expertise for time keeping system
- Train managers to use time keeping system and assist with daily questions
- Assist with monthly, quarterly, and annual tax filings.
- Assist with various audit requests
- Manage W2 process
- Uphold the Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx core values
- Perform other duties as assigned by Payroll Manager.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Experience with Sage HRMS software preferred
- Experience with time-keeping systems, and Microsoft Excel required
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state regulations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to handle confidential matters and information
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to perform at the highest level in a deadline driven environment and unwavering attention to detail
- Highly motivated Team player with a positive attitude
- Decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing skills.
- Strong time management skills
Minimum 2 years of experience strongly preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree in or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This job operates in a professional office environment. Office hours are typically Monday-Friday from 8:30 AM-5:00PM. In addition to working office hours, staff may be required to work Timberwolves and Lynx home games, in addition to external events, including charity and networking events. Hours may include, nights, weekends, and holidays.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is generally sedentary in nature. The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. This job also operates in gymnasiums, the Timberwolves/Lynx practice facility, and a professional sports arena, which include bleachers/steps.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate and exchange information with others both in person and over the telephone. The employee frequently is required to remain in a stationary position, as well as operate computers and other office equipment, such as a copy machine, printer, and telephone. Staff will occasionally ascend and descend bleachers/steps and traverse around the arena both on event days and non-event days. Staff will frequently move boxes of merchandise and equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
Position will require some travel to external events
The Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx are an equal employment opportunity organization.