The Chicago Bulls Public & Media Relations team is seeking a hardworking and skilled individual passionate about gaining firsthand public and media relations experience, and progressing in the professional sports PR industry. The person who fills the role of Public & Media Relations Associate will have the opportunity to work daily with members of the media, as well as collaborate with various departments within the Chicago Bulls organization (e.g., Basketball Operations, Community Relations, Corporate Communications, Digital, etc.) to assist with the overall public and media relations strategy of the team.
This position is scheduled to start in September 2017 and continue through the end of the season.
OVERVIEW & RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Public & Media Relations Associate, you will be part of a dynamic team and can expect to assist the staff in all aspects of the team’s public and media relations efforts, including:
- Support the development of departmental publications (e.g., media guide, preseason guide, playoff guide, game-day insert, gamenotes, post-game notes, etc.)
- Monitor and report on team coverage in the local and national media
- Compile, archive and distribute local and national media clips
- Produce daily statistical reports and compile gamenotes
- Prepare game credentials and visiting media packets for all home games
- Set up media work areas on game days (e.g., press room and press box)
- Assist the department at practice and shoot around
- Help coordinate events such as press conferences, media day, etc.
- Perform additional projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism or a communications-related field
- At least one year of experience in sports communications or public/media relations at either the professional or collegiate level, and can effectively perform the duties as listed above
- A deep understanding of the organization’s history, the NBA and basketball statistics
- Knowledge of local media and the ability to work productively and positively with media and organizational departments
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) and relationship building skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including editing and working knowledge of and adherence to AP style
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Highly organized, with attention to detail and strong time management skills
- Ability to work quickly in a dynamic, team oriented environment
- Previous experience prioritizing work and adhering to changing deadlines
- Ability to take direction and collaborate across multiple teams
- Strong professional working demeanor and the ability to handle confidential information
We are seeking candidates who are able to work a flexible schedule which includes working nights, weekends and holidays.
The Chicago Bulls Public & Media Relations Associate role will pay $11.00/hr. Parking and lunch at the United Center are provided daily, free of charge, and employees will receive complimentary tickets to select home Bulls games.