This is a part-time position within the Los Angeles Sparks Youth Basketball program. The LA Sparks prefer individuals that have a passion for the sport of basketball and are committed to being part of its growth within Southern California. LA Sparks youth basketball coaches will be responsible for the support, instruction and implementation of various basketball initiatives including but not exclusive to: Jr. Sparks and basketball camps (spring, summer and winter). LA Sparks youth coaches should be passionate about youth development, enthusiastic, posses a strong work ethic, and be able to work well with others while positively representing the LA Sparks as ambassadors of the team. The LA Sparks are looking to create two separate coaching staffs. One staff will work primarily in Los Angeles and Ventura County while the second staff will cover Orange County, the Inland Empire and the High Desert.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Implementation and Instruction of the Jr. Sparks program. Teaching youth basketball participants fundamentals and essential skills at various gym locations throughout Southern California. Youth basketball coaches will be asked to participate in a shoot around and stretching period as well as run a basketball station featuring an essential fundamental of basketball.
- Implementation and Instruction of the Sparks Youth Basketball Camp. Teaching youth basketball participants fundamentals and essential skills at various gym locations throughout Southern California. Youth basketball coaches will be asked to participate in a shoot around and stretching period as well as run a basketball station featuring an essential fundamental of basketball.
- Passionate about the LA Sparks and the sport of basketball.
- Previos experience working with elementary and middle school aged students preferred (camp counselor, coaching, teaching, etc.).
- Self-motivated with the ability to connect with elementary and middle school aged participants.
- Organized with the abiility to multi-task and problem solve in a fast-paced work environment.
- Hard working, detail oriented and results driven.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to be a team player and enjoy working in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Minimum of high school level basketball playing experience required.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Have a valid California driver's license, automobile liability insurance and a good driving record.
- Flexible schedule - must be able to work some nights/weekends and holidays required.
- Requires prolonged standing; ability to lift and carry up to 35 pounds.
- Must be able to work in outside conditions.
- Demonstrated dedication with the ability to oversee projects from origin through execution.
- Willingness to learn and should be able to flourish in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Self-starter and entrepreneurial spirit with hands-on approach towards business.
- Background check required.