As a member of the LA Clippers Finance team, you will partner with the Controller on the development, interpretation, and implementation of complex financial and accounting concepts, reports, techniques for financial planning and internal controls, and maintenance of the general ledger.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Interprets financial policies, accounting theory, or financial regulations while also performing account reconciliations.
- Makes entries to general ledger accounting system and perform account analysis on general ledger accounts.
- Perform treasury management functions and complete monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare league mandated ticket reporting.
- Preparation of various tax reporting requirements.
- Preparation and oversight of the monthly close process.
· Responsible for the accuracy, precision and timeliness of all financial data created by the Finance Team from Dynamics GP.
· Assist with the review of financial statements including investigation of account fluctuations, underlying financial entries, etc.
· Identify and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports.
· Develop understanding of underlying business processes (e.g., A/R, A/P, box office, merchandise, food & beverage, etc.) and the associated interfaces with the general ledger. Assist in the evaluation of business processes.
· Maintain and process standard recurring financial journal entries.
· Evaluate all new offerings in the context of accounting and revenue recognition considerations
· Work with FP&A to help accurately forecast revenue, expense and cash flows.
· Cross-train with other members of the Finance and Accounting team to provide backup coverage and for career development purposes
· Support key aspects of the annual audits (E&Y, League BRI/CFS, etc.), including preparation of audits schedules and compiling records.
· Assist the Controller with administrative tasks such as chart of accounts administration, customer/vendor maintenance and the month-end close account reconciliation process
· General Accounting work including but not limited to:
o Fixed Assets
o Prepaid Expenses & Accrued Liabilities
o Basketball Operations (player contracts, gate payments)
o League Accounting Matters
o Inter-Departmental Charges and special projects as needed
· Performs other duties/projects as assigned.
Characteristics / Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Economics. CPA license required.
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in public accounting.
- Previous Big 4 experience strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in sports or entertainment preferred.
- Understanding of GAAP accounting principles, practices, and associated computer systems and interfaces.
- Experience with SOX 404 and a working knowledge of internal controls.
- Experience in analyzing business performance and developing financial plans.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially in MS Excel or comparable complex spreadsheets.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- High level of personal integrity and professional ethics.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing business conditions.
- Demonstrated dedication with the ability to lead projects from origin through execution.
- Willingness to learn and should be able to flourish in a high growth, dynamic environment.
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Self-starter and entrepreneurial spirit with hands-on approach towards business.
Equal Opportunity Statement
The LA Clippers are an equal opportunity employer. It is the Clipper’s desire and intent that all employees enjoy a professional business working environment that is free from discrimination.